Monday, November 8, 2010

Refusing to Fall Back with Exercise

Mission "Get Buff" is underway! It's much easier to get out and be more active if I'm not thinking of it as a form of dieting. I am supplementing my Garden Lites meal plan with great sources of protein, like chicken, and making sure I drink lots of water.

I'm not the type of person to just jump into anything without hours of research and preparation put into it first. I also found it difficult to say at the beginning of last week "Yeah, I'll start my 5K training next Monday..." and then sit around waiting to be active. So this weekend I did a little unofficial exercise preparation for my exercise preparation.

Saturday my exercise buddy (boyfriend) and I walked around Manhattan and tracked our mileage on his smart phone. I was already winded by the time we reached the top step of the subway stop to begin our walk. I am out of shape. We logged 5 miles in a couple hours, and my legs could feel it the next day.

I printed my workout plan (I'm using the Mayo Clinic 7 weeks to a 5K program, but I'll review other plans later this week) and read it over Sunday so I'd know what I was getting myself into. The Mayo Clinic program works in 30 minute work outs with intervals of running and walking. 30 minutes? Simple.

Sunday was laundry day, so while the clothes were in the washer (for 30 minutes) I thought "What better time to try out this workout?" Exercise buddy in tow, we set out "wogging" all over town for 30 minutes. Wogging is a term coined by my father 12 years ago. When you walk and jog intermittently, it feels wrong to tell others you went for a run. So instead, you wog. I am glad I had someone with me, because it looked a little silly to run for 15 seconds and then walk for 45. Tonight, I will attempt my official start on the exercise plan, and will brave the wog solo.

Here is what I have learned from my pre-pre-5K workouts:
  1. I am embarrassingly out of shape.
  2. I still need to take my inhaler before any form of exercise.
  3. I need new running shoes.
  4. I need a good workout soundtrack.

Did anyone else "get moving" this weekend? What did you do to inspire more mobility into your daily routine? Share with us here or on our Facebook page! www.facebook.com/GardenLites

Also, I am accepting suggestions for workout songs to add to my play list.

No comments:

Post a Comment