Thursday, November 4, 2010

Moving Towards Your Goal

I have been very pleased with my progress in the "Get Real" Challenge since we've started in mid-August. I've lost weight, gotten better about what I eat and even inspired others to take on healthier lifestyles! So what's my problem? Why do I feel.... stagnant?

My weight loss has hit a plateau at 9 pounds, but I've really liked the changes in me both inside and out. I don't feel like I have to lose more weight, and my original goal of 20 lbs seems over the top. To me, this isn't a failure in the challenge, this is the GOAL of the challenge. Not weight loss, but finding a way to improve my lifestyle. Looking in the mirror and liking what I see is a great improvement. But I know myself, I like to be constantly challenged. Mission "Like My Body" is accomplished. What's next?

Mission "Get Buff."

I pride myself on my ability to keep up with the boys. At Kosherfest, I was schlepping boxes as much as the other folks, and every time I heard a guy impressed with my lack of daintiness I chose to take it as a compliment. But now, a week later, still feeling each lifted box in my back and shoulders, I realize I am out of shape. And I want to change that.

Vague goals are hard for me. "Lose weight" doesn't spark any sort of fire within me. "Be healthier" is a cop out. "Exercise more" will not help me avoid my snooze button. So what I am doing is forming a more specific event that I will work towards. This event will not be the "end point" of my healthy lifestyle journey, but a mere pit stop along the way. As my first step toward "Mission Get Buff" I will be doing a 5K.

To some, a 5K is just a simple foot race. 3.1 miles... piece of cake. But to me, this has been a dream for quite some time.

Come back to the blog tomorrow when I'll give a little more insight as to what a 5K means to me, and follow me as I train in the next few months. I'm really excited about this upcoming challenge, I hope you are too! As part of your "Get Real" Challenge, try to focus this month on moving more.

"Get Moving" can mean many different things, but here are a few suggestions (feel free to comment with more!):
  • Walking
  • Jogging
  • Running
  • Dancing
  • Taking the Stairs
  • Martial Arts
  • Rock Climbing
  • Biking
  • Hiking
  • Swimming
  • Jumping Jacks
  • Roller Blading
  • Playing Sports
  • Frisbee

1 comment:

  1. "The Plateau" SUCKS. Absolute worse part about losing weight. I've unfortunately gone UP to my plateau. But you've found the way to get around it: changing things up. You'll do fine!

    ReplyDelete