Thursday, September 30, 2010

Get Real: Confession

It's time for me to be honest. I have some secrets.

If we're going to be going through this "Get Real" Challenge together, I think it's time I "get real" and tell you a few things about myself.

Confession #1 - I do not own my own belt.

When I moved to NYC and put on the weight, I had a hard time accepting my new body. I used a belt that was a leftover costume piece from a play I worked on. It was a small man's belt and it wasn't long before I outgrew it. Not wanting to purchase my own daily measuring device, I stole my boyfriend's old belt. It's been a slow and steady process, but I am finally on the smallest setting of this tattered piece of leather. It might be time for me to invest in my own beautiful woman's belt. I don't know if I am scared or excited.
Confession #2 - I have a box of clothes in my apartment labeled "Almost Fits Me"
I have dragged this box around for 3 years, through 5 moves, and I can't seem to get rid of it. I am not even sure if the clothes are a realistic size for my goal weight/shape, I've gained some curves in the past years that I think are here to stay. But man I love some of those pants! I went on an extreme clothes shopping binge right before moving to New York (pre-20 lbs of weight gain) and have only worn some of those clothes a handful of times. Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly thin I go into my "Almost Fits Me" box and put on a pair of pants. Most recently I can get them on, but cannot button them. That is HUGE. Before I couldn't get them past my thighs. But I think my little dress up ritual is unhealthy and may be setting up unrealistic expectations.

Confession #3 - If given the option in a restaurant, I will ALWAYS choose the cream sauce.

I'm sorry but I have my own limits. I can "get real" when it comes to eating more vegetables and doing some yoga, but I can't give up my creamy alfredos, gorgonzola, or any form of cheesy sauce goodness. I am human. The way I have combatted this problem is portion. I think that's still getting real.

Ahhh, I feel better already. Now that you know these deep dark secrets of mine, do any of you have similar stories? A specific item of clothing you idolize? Your kryptonite food? Let me know so I'm not hanging out on this limb all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment